Welcome to PhreakNet! Because this is a hobbyist endeavor, there are a few guidelines by which all members are equally expected to abide:
- All members should treat each other with respect. Member harassment is strictly prohibited.
- Black hat (destructive, illegal and/or fradulent) activities are strictly prohibited. We are here to learn, collaborate, and innovate by engaging with each other, not to cause mayhem or destruction.
Mailing List & Chat
- Emails posted should provide some indication of the identity of the sender. This can be accomplished by configuring your name in your mail client, in Groups.io, or manually signing your emails. If you don't know how to do this, reach out and someone will help you.
- Emails to the mailing list should not be forward en masse outside of the group, to protect group and member confidentiality. Note that unlike some lists, the PhreakNet mailing list is not publicly viewable, in order to protect the privacy of our members. Please respect this.
- Chat messages should not be relayed to other IRC or chat channels, bouncers, or other locations, for any reason, without the express permission of the Board of Directors.
- No vulgar, abusive, or attacking discussion or comments on the mailing list
- No ad hominem attacks towards other members
- Disagreements should be respectful, constructive, and engaging.
- Personal drama should be avoided
- Inbound calls to the network should be screened using the verification subroutines (or the
- Outbound thru-calls to the network should be out-verified using the verification subroutines (or the
- Anonymous calls are not permitted and are rejected by the default blacklisting thresholds
- Rogue directory listings (listings that the user of the listed number would not want) are not permitted
- No spoofing of Caller ID information
- Caller ID/ANI should not be modified or transformed (e.g. rewriting PSTN caller ID to PhreakNet caller ID would not be permitted, unless both caller IDs belonged to the node operator)
- Ban evasions, or attempts to evade active bans, are not permitted.
- All persons with direct access to the network (such as a network DID number) must be registered with the business office
- Hosted lines must be requested through the Hosted Lines platform (they can be requested from any supporting end office on the network)
Violations of these guidelines will be dealt with on an as needed basis by the Board of Directors. Ultimately, the Board of Directors has the discretion to determine if actions constituted a violation of our community guidelines under the terms outlined above. Any actions taken will be subject to a majority vote (51%) of the Board of Directors.
In the event a violation warrants remedial action to protect the network or its members, the Board of Directors will notify, in writing, the violator of the breach of guidelines, using his or her registered email address. Depending on the severity of the violation, sanctions, restrictions, suspensions, or expulsions from the network may follow. If a member is suspended or expelled, he or she will be informed whether or not this action is subject to possible appeal. Appeals will be processed through the Board of Directors and subject to a supermajority vote (at least 67%).
TL;DR — please use common sense, and treat others as you would want to be treated!
Repeated violations of these guidelines may result in a permanent ban from the network. We strive to keep this a safe, respectful, inclusive, educational, and constructive community. Thank you for doing your part to keep it that way!